Items in Cart:
Job Profile: Java “imagineer” – R&D
bidorbuy represents Africa’s largest online market place where 500,000 buyers and sellers come together to buy and sell merchandise, services and any other marketable goods.
The company is looking to grow its current technical team with additional staff to work on bidorbuy’s Java stack and work directly with our business partners to research, develop and deploy next generation web applications for high volume transaction environments.
The candidate is expected to be effective as an individual contributor, team player, and a champion for results and incremental improvement.
We are interested in candidates with 3+ years of demonstrable experience and who have had a background of working on large-scale web initiatives. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional programming skills, an understanding of user-centered design principles, and the ability to turn business and user requirements into elegant user interfaces and compelling interactive experiences.
All candidates under consideration must be able to present a comprehensive portfolio.
The ideal candidate will work alongside the technical team and requires excellent Java and Web Design skills.
The candidate will be required to have a good overall knowledge of the main technologies that fall within the JEE arena.
• Work on some cool new user experiences that we are building.
• Work on various incubation ideas in the space of social commerce and do some fast prototyping
• Create stellar apps that are device agnostic. Powered by HTML5, CSS3 and your choice of a JS library.
• Work with engineers, product managers and QA to develop these innovative solutions, to make them scale well and be highly reliable
• Evangelize the concepts and products you build across the organisation and get them engaged.
Along with your outstanding drive for excellence, the successful candidate will bring with them:
• Strong desire to build user experiences that are simple, striking and super fast.
• Strong desire to solve complex user problems in the space of social commerce.
• Expertise in site speed fundamentals
• Strong knowledge of Object Oriented Design and MVC
• Some level of knowledge of Flash/Flex (not mandatory)
• Ability to deal with vagueness in product requirements and working through it.
• Experience with Agile methodologies (not mandatory)
• Interest in the social space and belief in its power.
• Some knowledge of social platforms (not mandatory)
• Strong Java (1.5 or later), JSP, HTML, XHTML, DHTML, CSS, XML programming skills
• Proficient with Eclipse/MyEclipseIDE, Tomcat, CVS and Linux
• Basic understanding of interaction design and user-centered design methods & practices
• Excellent oral communication skills.
• Willingness to switch gears quickly and be flexible to work on concurrent projects.
• Expert knowledge and experience with a leading application database product such as DB2, Oracle (expert skill in creating complex database queries, stored procedures etc).
• Experience working with a leading IDEs such as Eclipse, RAD, RSA
• Have development expertise in both a Web (MVC, HTML, JSP, Servlets) and back end environment (JDBC, XML, Webservices etc)
• Have hands on experience doing application performance tuning both at an application server and code level.
• Have used the Java API’s for XML processing, style sheets and developed solutions making use of Web Services.
• A high level of Linux proficiency.
• The ability to single handily implement an end-to-end web based system that conforms to the MVC patterns and makes use of some form of storage device.
• Experience in mobile development (mobile web-sites, Android, iPhone, BlackBerry) is beneficial
• 1+ years experience in e-commerce, retail merchandising/marketing, advertising, product development, e-commerce or related fields.
• Relevant certifications from an accredited institution. (i.e. Java Certification – SCJP,SCJD, SCWCD)
• Experience with Tomcat, Eclipse, CVS, Linux and Oracle DB will be a definite asset
• Degree in Marketing, Visual Communication, Graphic Arts, Computer Science or related area a plus.
• Analytical thinking
• Strong networking and communication ability
• Goal and delivery focused
• Creative and display high energy levels
• Consistent performer
• Work well under pressure
How to Apply
In order to be considered for an interview, please send the following documentation to email@example.com:
A concise CV with personal details, education details and any work experience gained thus far.
Only persons meeting these requirements should apply. Should you not hear from us within 14 days, please assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Posted on 21 July 2011.