A Short Guide to Selling Your Car Online
What you need to know
- Evaluate your vehicle (mileage, condition & features).
- Ensure that you notify your bank, that you will be selling your vehicle, as the relevant paper work would be required if you are still financing the car.
- A dealership should assist you with determining a selling price for your vehicle, but bear in mind; it would be in your best interest to compare the pricing of your vehicle against other cars in similar condition.
Requirements for selling your vehicle online
- Take photos of unique aspects of your vehicle.
- Ensure that you include images of the interior and exterior of your vehicle.
- Images indicating any damage to the car should be clear.
- Add your contact details to the classified listing page.
- State the condition of your vehicle, i.e. new or used.
- Mention your preferred method of payment.
- Keep the advertisement simple and to the point.
- Do not falsify any details concerning your vehicle as this will deter buyers.
Prepare your vehicle
Have the vehicle checked and repair any small problems the vehicle has:
- Ensure that your vehicles tyres are not badly worn out.
- Replace old window wipers.
- Make sure the brakes, and the exhaust of your vehicle, is in good working order.
- Patch up small scratches and dings with polish.
- Fix chips, if any, on the windscreen.
Take one more look:
- Valet your vehicle and ensure that it is in pristine condition.
- Make sure that everything works in your vehicle.
- Check your lights, indicators, etc...
- Spend some money, and replace the bulbs that aren’t working.
- Ensure no warning signs show on your dashboard.
- Gather all documents and history of your vehicle.
Finalising the sale:
- Certify the change of ownership by visiting your traffic department
and handing over all documentation to the new owner.
- If the car is still under finance, notify the bank that there has been
a change of ownership so that you are no longer liable for the repayments.
- Do not use other parties to complete and negotiate payment. Be involved
through the entire process.
- Ensure you have copies of all the documentation covering the sale.
- Make sure payment reflects in your account.
What to look out for:
- Meet in a safe area.
- Make sure the buyer is insured to drive a car.
- Check to see if the buyer has a driver’s license.
Tip: If you need to make an urgent sale consider auctioning your car off to the highest bidder, a process which is very easy and effective on bidorbuy.